[bt-devel] Toolbar usability (was:New Windows users and user experience)

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Fri Nov 20 07:31:09 MST 2009

On Fri, 20 Nov 2009, Thomas Abthorpe wrote:
> I use horizontal, so I can have full access to the tool bar for each
> opened work. In the grand scheme of things, the arrangement mode is very
> easily set. So developers option here :)

The reason you use horizontal is a more general usability problem. The
toolbars take too much space and Qt automatic toolbutton hiding/showing
doesn't work well for us. That's one reason I'm trying to write
a text area header (see a previous post) which could potentially
replace the "Select work" buttons.

What about replacing two history buttons with one, like in Windows
version of Firefox? The vertical space it would take would probably be
less than 1/2...2/3 of the current space of the two buttons.

I rarely use the Search and Displaysettings buttons of a text window.
The actions could work in the RMB menu as well. How about adding a View
menu submenu "Text windows"->"Show search button", "Show work chooser
buttons", "Show settings button", "Show history buttons"...? It would
show/hide the corresponding buttons of all text windows. That way a user
could see only the buttons he actually uses and could still access the
actions from the RMB menu.

  Yours,
	Eeli Kaikkonen (Mr.), Oulu, Finland