[bt-devel] New Windows users and user experience

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Fri Nov 20 05:39:58 MST 2009

On Wed, 18 Nov 2009, Gary Holmlund wrote:
> I have also been thinking that the default of manual arrangement is not
> the best. I would like to see it change.
>
> On the manual arrangement mode we have code that takes maximized windows
> and shrinks them to 400x400 when a new window is opened. That may have
> seemed friendly in some past version when a new window would hide the
> old one with no way to get to it, but we now a Windows menu to select
> the current window. Using it and keeping several windows maximized works
> quite nicely. I think the 400x400 code should be removed. Opinions?

Martin already said changing the default to vertical auto mode would be
OK. I just would like to know what people generally prefer. The vertical
auto feels the most natural, but is it so for the users? What each of
you, or people you know using BibleTime, prefer?

To Gary's suggestion - I agree that 400x400 should be removed, even
though I don't use it much. When I used it, it was clumsy. The downside
of opening all windows maximized is that many users may not understand
it and they open new windows without ever changing to an old one, and
they think BibleTime doesn't have subwindows at all. But perhaps this
wouldn't be a problem if autotiling is the default.

  Yours,
	Eeli Kaikkonen (Mr.), Oulu, Finland