[bt-devel] PDFs and other object files in source tarballs

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Thu Nov 19 15:28:06 MST 2009

On Thu, 19 Nov 2009, Greg Hellings wrote:
> If Ubuntu and Debian don't want us to be part of their repositories
> because we distribute as "source" a file derived from a file over
> which our project has full copyright and has declared it part of the
> GPL'd package (along with the actual "source" document), and which we
> include because it makes building on systems other than the Holy Linux
> a less burdensome task for other packagers, then I think Ubuntu and
> Debian need to have a seriously introspective moment with themselves
> and wonder why people find their requirements for inclusion
> unnecessarily stilted.

I don't think the issue should be put that way. They just don't want
non-source files in *their* distribution packages. As Jonathan said,
it's just more work for him if we distribute such files by default.
There's nothing more or less in this issue. No hostility or attitudes.
Our attitude should be friendly, not hostile, towards packaging. Of
course we have to consider our needs for Windows and Mac platforms, too,
and we may have to make compromises between different needs.

  Yours,
	Eeli Kaikkonen (Mr.), Oulu, Finland