[bt-devel] Committed English handbook pdf, r1829

Martin Gruner mg.pub at gmx.net
Wed Nov 18 23:57:43 MST 2009

Hello Jonathan and Thomas,

Am Dienstag, 17. November 2009 23:26:14 schrieb Jonathan Marsden:
> Thomas Abthorpe wrote:
> > Do we want to bundle it with the software? If no, we can remove it
> > before we create the 2.4 tarball. If yes, obviously we let it be.
>
> I'd prefer not, or I'll probably have to do extra work to create a
> special PDF-less tarball each time!  PDF is not the preferred source
> form of the information,

Who defines that?

> so the PDF file should not be in a source
> tarball.  Just like object files are not in the source tarball.

Well, following that philosophy, we could also not have the generated HTML
files in our sources, because the information is maintained in the docbook
files. We do include them, however, to ease the burden of compiling and
installing BibleTime for end-users not as skillful as an experienced packager
or end-users on other platforms. That is the same, or even more so, in the
case of PDFs.

So currently my vote would be to include the pdfs in the source tree. For me,
the question rather is: Should they replace or amend the existing generated
HTML files? Thomas, can you please send me an example PDF?

> Makefile rules to create the PDF *should* be there -- but not the PDF
> itself.  That way, if desired, we could create a PDF as part of the
> build process and put it in a bibletime-doc package or similar if it is
> too big to always be included (which it probably is, if we end up with
> many translated PDFs of the handbook!).
>
> > Do we want to distribute the pdfs on the website?

I think it is reasonable to distribute the documentation along with the
application.

Regards, Martin