[bt-devel] Your changes in CVS

Thomas Abthorpe thomas at stthomasanglican.org
Tue Nov 17 17:40:42 MST 2009

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 16:38:43 -0600
k486 <k486 at digizip.com> wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> I'm slightly confused about the roles of the trunk and branches.  Is it
> not the norm for trunk or the mainline to remain as stable as possible
> and for major code changes and new features to be tracked in development
> branches?  Then after everyone has tested and reviewed the development
> code, it is merged back to the trunk.

I spouted this in IRC, but will repeat here for the benefit of all else :)

Rule 1, keep trunk in build condition, always

During open development, make as may commits as your fingers will allow you
to do! Keeping in mind at all times, rule 1.

After the declared beta phase we should be slowing down, being conservative
about what we commit, making rule 1 easy to follow.

When rc phase commences, we should only be doing bugfixes and
documentation/translation, thereby making rule 1 happen.

Easy for me to say, I don't do the coding!

> I'm new so I don't want to make any assumptions or presumptions for that
> matter.

You are now an acknowledged member of the team, it is good to work by team
conventions, but now that you are on the "inside", you have to ability to set
the convention!

Just remember, your $0.02 worth is about the same in Canadian as it is in
American :)

> Kang
>
> PS - Thomas, thanks for the warm welcome!

Very welcome!!!!

Thomas

--
Thomas Abthorpe