[bt-devel] Bug-a-thon II (support lifetime)

Gary Holmlund gary.holmlund at gmail.com
Sun Nov 15 22:32:31 MST 2009

Jonathan Marsden wrote:
> Gary Holmlund wrote:
>

>> How would you define support?  Fixing severe bugs? Answering questions
>> about it?  Feature upgrades?
>>

> The first two -- assisting users in determining whether their issue is
> really a Bt bug or something else, coming up with solutions or
> workarounds if practical, and (when needed) coming up with patches to
> address severe bugs.
>
> What was the team's definition when they made this decision?

I think the primary issue was not wanting to maintain the fixes branch
back several releases. Since you describe below that any fix would have
to be a single bug fix, we would not need to maintain the fixes branch,
just fix a single bug as it becomes important.

I think we would all be ready to answer questions about back versions.
>> Perhaps the issue is to understand the rules for updating a BT version
>> in a distribution. Suppose we wanted to fix a severe bug in a BT 2.0
>> release and put it into a 2.0 fixes branch. What is the process for
>> getting this update into Karmic, Jaunty, or Hardy?
>>

> In order of reaching the most users (and the highest difficulty of being
> accepted):
>
> (1) If the bug meets the definition for an SRU, the patch needs to be
> against the version shipped with the Ubuntu release -- no changes
> unrelated to the specific issue can be included in the patch, so you
> can't address a really severe issue by uploading BT 2.3.3 as a fix for
> an issue in 2.0, it would be rejected by the motu-sru team.  SRUs that
> are approved end up the -security repository for their release, and
> almost all Ubuntu users will then "see" the update automatically.  See
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StableReleaseUpdates
>
> (2) Stepping down from there, there are other official package
> repositories which can be uploaded to; these are more widely available
> than a PPA, but less than an SRU, since many users do not enable them.
> See https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuBackports for info on these.
>  They do each have specific requirement for what they will accept.
>

>> Would this process be any different if we wanted to base any fix on the
>> BT 2.1 or 2.2 fixes branch, assuming that these versions have compatible
>> dependencies with the distribution?
>>

> Yes.  -security, -proposed and -updates repositories will *only* accept
> patches which are the minimal fix for a given severe bug, they will
> never accept a new release as a way to do that (unless the new release
> really did just fix that one bug, I suppose!).  Rules for -backports are
> more relaxed.
>
> (3) Using a -backports repository *is* a way to get newer releases into
> the hands of some fraction of end users, but a much smaller fraction of
> them than will enable -security, or even -updates.
>
> (4) Stepping down from there, a very tiny fraction of end users will add
> the CrossWire Packaging Team PPA and so automatically receive whatever
> BT and SWORD packages we put there as updates.  There are no real
> restrictions on what versions we put there, as long as each version is
> higher than any previous one published in that PPA for that Ubuntu release.

Thank you for the detail response about the process. It will help us
make better decisions in the future.
> One concern is that there are users (more than I expected) who are still
> using Ubuntu 8.04 LTS on their desktop/laptop machines because of
> corporate policy... such users will not benefit from the inclusion of BT
> into newer Ubuntu releases until Ubuntu Lucid 10.04 LTS.
>
> Another is simply that even within the six month official lifetime of a
> Ubuntu (non-LTS) release, BT versions can change rapidly, and I do not
> want to become the only source of support for Ubuntu BT users -- that's
> way more than I took on when I started packaging BT!

If someone comes to use with a issue on an older release, I think our
first response will be to see if the have the option of using the ppa to
get a later release. I don't think that will cause any extra time for
you. We would be the ones answering the questions.
> Jonathan

Gary