[bt-devel] Bug-a-thon

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Sun Nov 15 05:51:26 MST 2009

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009, Eeli Kaikkonen wrote:
> About moving to a newer version of Qt...
>
> We can't take Qt 4.6. The next goal is 4.5. Distros won't support 4.6
> for a longish time, and backporting for older ones gets difficult or
> impossible if we use the latest Qt. Here are some distro versions and
> supported Qt version:
>
> (K)ubuntu 8.04 (LTS) 2008/04: 4.4 as a backport? - I used it until this
> week
> (K)ubuntu 8.10 2008/10: 4.4.3
> (K)ubuntu 9.04 2009/04: 4.5.0
> (K)ubuntu 9.10 2009/10: 4.5.3
>
> Debian 5.0 lenny 2009/02: 3.3 (yes, really, maybe 4.x as a backport?)
> Debian testing and unstable: 3.3 (yes, REALLY, according to
> distrowatch.com, and debian.org seems to be down so I can't check)
>
> Fedora 10 2008/11: 4.4.3
> Fedora 11 2009/06: 4.5.0
>
> OpenSUSE 11.1 2008/12: 4.4.3
> OpenSUSE 11.2 2009/11: 4.5.3
>
> Mandriva 2009 2008/10: 4.4.3
> Mandriva 2009.1 2009/04: 4.5.0
> Mandriva 2010 2009/11: 4.5.3

This seems to suggest that if we want to support backporting for at
least one older distro version (leaving Debian out) we can adopt 4.5 no
sooner than next summer.

BTW, because I don't compile with Qt 4.4 anymore nobody will notice if
someone puts in code which depends on 4.5. Be careful before we make a
decision.

  Yours,
	Eeli Kaikkonen (Mr.), Oulu, Finland