[bt-devel] Mac build?

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 07:49:15 MST 2009

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 7:32 AM, Eeli Kaikkonen
<eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi> wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Nov 2009, Martin Gruner wrote:
>
>> Greg,
>>
>> we don't need ICU, please skip it altogether.
>
> Yes, and I commented about it in the wiki page. If our discussion is
> scarce and slow, we can do it in the wiki page. I commented also the
> non-native UI.
>
> Interest hasn't really been great and we shouldn't put too much effort
> into this, but as I said, it would be nice to have. If Greg can reduce
> the size and set up a nice source-update/compile/release cycle it's
> worth it. Maybe we shouldn't make public announcement unless we can
> guarantee future releases.

Source update/compile is simple - the official command line CMake
version, subversion client and XCode gcc compiler (along with make,
which I believe is included with XCode - correct me someone, if I'm
wrong) all work right out of a Bash environment almost identically to
how they work in Linux.  Unless OS X changes its Applicaiton Bundle
configuration (which I can't imagine happening so long as they keep
the OS X branding) the Mac system should need only negligible
updating.  I'm happy to continue contributing my builds, and if I fall
off the edge of the earth somehow, anyone else who is a project member
could probably use the build environments that SourceForge makes
available to continue building it if no one else has a Mac.  CPack
handles making the application bundle on Mac exactly the same way it
does on Windows.  "make package" will produce a .dmg file which almost
every Mac user anywhere will be familiar with, as it is the default
way applications are installed on Macs, unless they're as complex as
Office or XCode or the like.

Leaving out ICU will simplify the build and decrease the size.  That
doesn't address my concerns with having both release and debug Qt
libraries, but I will look into that the next time I'm on my MacBook.

--Greg