[bt-devel] Showstopper bugs

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Mon Nov 9 11:05:53 MST 2009

On Mon, 9 Nov 2009, Gary Holmlund wrote:

> Eeli Kaikkonen wrote:
> > Another bug: when I quit BT it segfaults. Does this happen to others? It
> > may not affect the user experience but should be fixed anyways.
> >
> I am not seeing this. Do you have to do anything specific before closing
> BT? I have tried both installing modules and canceling during installing
> modules. If others are not seeing it perhaps it is specific to a version
> of curl or Qt? What versions do you have? Is this ubuntu 9.10 or other?

Kubuntu 8.04, Qt 4.4.1, curl 7.18.0.

In modified SWORD Curl is initialized when the SWORD library is loaded
(it's static code) - if you took off the comment before global_init in
curlftpt.cpp. WebKit uses QtNetwork even if we don't use network classes
explicitly. I guess they are both closed when the libraries are unloaded
or destructed (I don't know what happens to dynamic libraries when
program exits), not depending on what you do in the program.

For me it's enough to open and quit BT with the modified SWORD. But with
original Ubuntu SWORD package it doesn't segfault even if I install a
module and then quit. This perplexes me because the default SWORD code,
or actually the curl library, uses global_init once anyways when it's
used. Can it depend on the order in which the libraries are loaded?
E.g., if SWORD and curl is loaded first, then Qt.  With the old code
curl would be initialized after Qt has been loaded and initialized,
but with the new code curl would be initialized first.

Can you test with both Linux and Windows?

  Yours,
	Eeli Kaikkonen (Mr.), Oulu, Finland