[bt-devel] Our ftp transport backend

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Sun Nov 1 09:39:10 MST 2009

For those who don't read sword-devel I'll append the discussion with
Troy.

I've been planning to write an ftp transport backend with Qt networking
classes. I don't have any working code but I have a design which
"should" work. the Qt code itself is very simple to use but the class
structure and communication must be adapted because SWORD uses
synchronous method and Qt asynchronous.

There were originally three reasons for our own backend. The most
important is that the SWORD implementation isn't thread safe. It may be
one reason why we have random crashes. Even though they were mostly
eliminated by turning the parallel downloads off they seem to be not
gone 100%.

The second reason is interwined with the first one. Cancelling a
download doesn't work in the current SWORD implementation and therefore
I have tried to terminate it violently. But it's a hack which probably
doesn't behave well. That may be another reason for crashes.

The third reason is that if we had a Qt implementation we could drop off
the curl dependency in Windows. I don't know if the fallback ftplib is
used in any platform where SWORD is packaged, but that surely won't work
for BibleTime, so it must be curl or Qt.

I'd like to hear what BT developers think. Most of you probably don't
have any strong feelings, but is there anything which should be taken
into consideration?

The changes proposed below should be quite easy to implement, so I'll
try to look at them deeper and test them anyways. If they work,
it could be possible to keep using the current code. But would there
then be any reasons to implement our own backend with Qt?

  Yours,
	Eeli Kaikkonen (Mr.), Oulu, Finland