[bt-devel] [ bibletime-Feature Requests-2798760 ] Toolbar: Choice of biblical references

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Sat May 30 02:57:32 MST 2009

Feature Requests item #2798760, was opened at 2009-05-30 10:57
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by ewst
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=350954&aid=2798760&group_id=954

not just the latest update.
Category: Frontend
Group: None

Initial Comment:
In BT 2.0 used in Ubuntu 9.04:
There are 15 tools to choose biblical references on the toolbar
- 2 for a direct choice by typing
-- reference box which shows the actual references and allows to type in a new one,
- 9 for choosing books/chapters/verses by clicking
-- 3 by opening a list and clicking on a certain book or chapter or verse
-- 3 by navigating/moving to the next book or chapter or verse
-- 3 by navigating/moving to the previous book or chapter or verse
- 4 for using the history to navigate/move to a reference
-- 2 to move back in history, one by a list and one to the previous one
-- 2 to move forward in history, one by a list and one to the next one
What makes it more difficult to use those tools is that the lists and next/previous book/chapter/verse tools are seperated, but mixed:
- next/previous book
- list of books
- list of chapters
- list of verses
- next/previous chapter
- next/previous verse
-> put together
- the next/previous tools (for book/chapter/verse)
- the list tools (for book/chapter/verse)

Date: 2009-05-30 11:57

Message:
What I am suggesting is not to remove some (of those useful tools), but to
group them together concerning their function:
- the next/previous tools (for book/chapter/verse) one next to the other
and
- the list tools (for book/chapter/verse) one next to the other.

Comment By: Eeli Kaikkonen (eelik)
Date: 2009-05-30 11:43

Message:
You didn't even find all of them :) Namely, you can scroll to next/previous
item with the mouse scroll button when the cursor is over a dropdown list
button or next/previous button.

Anyways, this is open for discussion. The dropdown lists are important, we
had several requests for that kind of navigation. Typing a reference is an
obvious choice for many users. I agree that several ways to do one thing is
not necessarily good. However, if we remove one, some people will certainly
complain, and if we remove another, some other people will complain. Any
thoughts?