[bt-devel] Development after 2.0 final

Gary Holmlund gary.holmlund at gmail.com
Sat May 23 19:06:22 MST 2009

Martin Gruner wrote:
> What do y'all think? Anybody against a fixed schedule?

This sounds good to me.
> * Require Sword 1.6.0 and throw away code for older versions.
> * Require QT 4.5 (this will allow to remove boost)
> * Remove boost dependency (patch is already available that does this).

It seems like we should have a goal of getting BT into the standard
repo's for some of the major releases of linux. Jaunty currently does
not have Sword 1.6. Perhaps that is happening soon but I don't know
their plans. Its seems best to keep the code that supports the older
versions of Sword and Qt and have their use optional.

I think that we should have priority on issues that relate to the
Windows and Mac ports.

I think there are several opportunities to the usability of the program.
Here are some that come to mind.

1. Both the Config and Bookshelf Manager are much easier to use after
you manually increase their height. I know that their current size is so
that small monitors can be used with them. How about checking the
monitor height and automatically increasing the height of these if the
space is available.

2. The Bookshelf Manager initially offers to store new modules in
/usr/share/sword which is not writable. I know it tells you about this
after you try to add a module. How about not showing any path that is
not writable.

3. My son asked me to look at BT from a new users first time startup. I
erased my .sword and .bibietime directories and tried. When BT comes up
the Config dialog also opens, under the BT window so you don't see it.
The new user really does not know what to do next. We really don't need
the Config dialog coming up. It would be better to have the Bookshelf
Manager come up so you can add modules. Even better would be to have a
Greeting Screen that welcomed the new user and explained the first
couple of steps to the new user. (Add modules and then use the Bookshelf
window to open one of them). It could then open the Bookshelf Manager
for them.

Martin, thanks for getting this planning going.

Gary