[bt-devel] Development after 2.0 final

Jonathan Marsden jmarsden at fastmail.fm
Fri May 22 15:00:26 MST 2009

Thomas Abthorpe wrote:

> On May 21, 2009 05:53:17 am Martin Gruner wrote:

>> * Require Sword 1.6.0 and throw away code for older versions.

Probably fine, since anyone downloading a new BT 2.1 can download a new
SWORD package too.

>> * Require QT 4.5 (this will allow to remove boost)

> Maybe 4.5.1, there are some qt-linguist beneifts with this version that Eeli
> discovered.

Be careful here; this would make it impossible to backport BT 2.1 to
Ubuntu Jaunty or Intrepid (unless you also backport Qt 4.5.1, but that's
not a small committment!).  Debian stable (Lenny) is still at Qt 4.4.3,
so we would have the same issue there.

I thought the idea was to remove Boost conditionally on having Qt 4.5 or
later present at build time?  This is more work than "just remove it",
but is also a lot more portable.

>> * Remove boost dependency (patch is already available that does this).

Fine as long as it checks on the Qt version and acts appropriately
(still builds!) if it finds Qt 4.4.3 or whatever.

>> * Require CMake 2.6 (some policies changed in 2.6)

No problem with this, Intrepid and Jaunty both have 2.6, and there is
already a backport for Hardy.  And cmake 2.6 is in Debian Lenny, too.

>> For 2.1, the next version, I think it would be ok to change these
>> requirements. Do you agree?

I'd be very cautious about absolutely requiring Qt 4.5.1, I think it
would be better to retain compatibility with at least Qt 4.5 and
preferably Qt 4.4.3.

Jonathan