[bt-devel] [Pkg-crosswire-devel] Packaging Project Planning

Jonathan Marsden jmarsden at fastmail.fm
Wed May 20 13:33:27 MST 2009

Eeli Kaikkonen wrote:

> But how much time you actually need to get the packages to unstable?
> I already asked Jonathan about that, but I thought we were talking
> about unstable, not about experimental or even "private" repos.

Upload time to Debian experimental or stable is the same; we make the
package and test it, and Roberto checks it out and (if it passes his
testing/QA!) uploads it to Debian.

It is 100% up to us packagers to decide what is ready for unstable vs
what is ready for experimental.

My personal take on this: as soon as we have a SWORD 1.6.0 ready for
upload to experimental, we can upload BT 2.0 there too, in whatever
release is the latest (beta or rc or final).  A week or ten days or so
later, if nothing bad has been discovered, we can upload BT to unstable.

Since specific dates (in May 2009) for BT 2.0 final have been mentioned
already, I really think this is a somewhat moot discussion -- by the
time we have SWORD 1.6.0 ready, there is likely to be a BT 2.0 we can
use, as well :)

My mention of private repos was based on Dmitry doing work for someone
who said they needed packages for Debian Lenny "now" -- I took that as
meaning within hours, or at most within a couple of days.  We can't get
anything into Debian itself quite that fast!

Jonathan