[bt-devel] bazaar repo

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Wed May 6 14:55:07 MST 2009

Eeli Kaikkonen wrote:
> After some initial difficulties the bazaar repo is up and running. Test
> from the bottom of your heart.

After some more difficulties the bazaar repo is still there but in a
different shape. I don't know how to create a wanted directory/branch
structure. And I succeeded to create an unversioned directory which can
be removed in no way...

Then another thing. The svn repo has layout:
sfproject
	- tags
	- branches
	- trunk
		- project1
		- project2

It's not very reasonable for other vcs's because it may not be possible
to checkout a subdirectory only. Website and c++ source should be in
different projects, but it's not currently possible with sf repos. If we
want to start using a dvcs it means that only the bibletime subproject
is in the repo, the rest will remain in svn until sf lets create several
repos.

I don't still know if it's possible or reasonable to keep two different
vcs systems up to date. My personal opinion is that bzr or hg could just
replace svn (except the hg win64 issue). Git is out of question because
we need good cross-platform support. Bzr supports an svn-like workflow
out of the box so it shouldn't be too hard to learn. I have struggled
with both hg and bzr but it's mostly because I try to convert repos and
do other non-basic things.

Anyways, we don't of course make any sudden moves. Svn will stay for
shorter or longer time, meanwhile we can keep testing others.

I give one documentation link for starters:
http://bazaar-vcs.org/Workflows. It's short and easy to read and gives
some clues why decentralized systems are better than strictly
centralized. I have used git-svn for a while and have been quite happy.
I don't want to go back to pure svn anymore. Bzr would probably have the
  same advantages. It can be even used directly as a local svn
replacement with existing svn repositories, though I don't know why
someone would want to use a dvcs that way because it looses some
important benefits (commit, log etc. locally without network, and local
feature branches, which both I have used with git-svn).

Maybe I'll try next bzr-svn myself to learn bzr a bit more.

--Eeli Kaikkonen