[bt-devel] BT 2.0.beta1 released

Gary Holmlund gary.holmlund at gmail.com
Sun May 3 21:19:32 MST 2009

Martin Gruner wrote:
> Hi Luke, hi Gary,
>
> IMO the mag should just honor the language font settings that we already offer.
> In this case, it ignores the custom font for English (StrongsRealGreek is
> English). It works for me in the normal lexicon window, but not in the mag.
>
> Either the language specific CSS is not written into the mag as well, or the
> html structure there is different (I did not check yet). We should try to make
> it work the same way as in the display windows, at least for the font face.
> And I think this should be done for 2.0. No new GUI elements neccessary.
>
> Gary, are you interested? Do you know CSS enough to do this?
>
> mg
>
> On Tuesday 28 April 2009 05:19:00 Gary Holmlund wrote:
>
>> Luke Plant wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Gary, thanks so much for the fixes.
>>>
>>> That just leaves this on my informal bug reports:

>>> This seems to be caused by the use of the 'Arial' font, which is
>>> lacking in the 'accented Greek characters' department.  On removing
>>> that font from my system, it then used 'Liberation Sans', which is
>>> lacking in the same way!
>>>
>>> I fixed it by adding this to my ~/.fonts.conf:
>>>
>>> <match target="pattern" name="family" >
>>>  <test name="family" qual="any" >
>>>   <string>Liberation Sans</string>
>>>  </test>
>>>  <edit mode="assign" name="family" >
>>>   <string>Bitstream Vera Sans</string>
>>>  </edit>
>>> </match>
>>>
>>> But this is not an ideal fix.  The choice of font should be determined
>>> either by BibleTime settings or user defaults, but none of these refer
>>> to 'Arial' or 'Liberation Sans' (or Helvetica etc.) on my machine.
>>> Any idea why these fonts are being chosen?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Luke
>>>
>> The Mag window uses QWebView to display. BibleTime 1.7 it used KHTML
>> classes. There is nothing setting the font for this window, so it is
>> using a default determined by Qt. The KHTML default must have been
>> different. I have looked at the source for Qt and Arial font is
>> hardcoded into it and the Qt global settings can't change it.
>>
>> Providing a setting for this font was recently discussed, but we were
>> wanting a feature freeze for the 2.0 release.  We  should be able to do
>> this soon after the 2.0 release.
>>
>> Any other thoughts Eeli or Martin? We could set a different default in
>> BibleTime but I am not sure which font would be best for various platforms.
>>
>> Gary

The Mag window should now use the fonts specified in the Settings /
Configuration dialog. This includes the font name and size. I had to fix
3 separate problems to do this.

1. The display templates were overriding the language specific fonts.
Some font entries were removed from the templates. These entries were
specific to the Mag window.

2. The display of Strong's numbers in the Mag window did not have a
language setting. They were set to english.

3. When clicking links in the Mag window the text did not have a
language setting. I used the language of the module that the text came
from to set this.

I would appreciate any testing that anyone can do relative to these
changes.

Gary