[bt-devel] RFC: Remove modules installed by the native package manager

Sveinung Kvilhaugsvik sveinung84 at users.sourceforge.net
Sun May 3 07:22:49 MST 2009

> To make us responsible for people using
> means outside of our provided means is a bit over much.
Don't look at these patches as a way to make you responsible for it
but as a way to make it easier for you to live with it. :)

> Adding support for
> various package managers introduces unnecessary complexity or bulk -
At least in the current patches, the changes to code is isolated to
cmake and one class. (If it should be spread around more please tell
me) The support for various package managers is in PackageKit, not in
the patches.

> what if we don't support someone's chosen packaging mechanism? Is that
> now our bug, or the external library's lack of feature or is it just
> unsupported?
I'd say it's a lack of feature in PackageKit. If a distro want
programs to integrate with its package manager it will probably add
support for it to PackageKit anyway since it's easier to add support
for you package manager to PackageKit than to add support for it to
every program you want to integrate your package manager with. All
distos that I am aware of that package works either already have
PackageKit (Ubuntu and OpenSUSE) or are working on getting it
(Debian[1] and Gentoo [2]).

[2] http://socghop.appspot.com/student_project/show/google/gsoc2009/gentoo/t124022355830

Sveinung