[bt-devel] installing BibleTime

Jonathan Marsden jmarsden at fastmail.fm
Tue Mar 31 18:44:20 MST 2009

Arthur Bolstad wrote:

> I am using Linux but am not yet comfortable in it.  I lurk, mostly, on
> the various Sword project emails. Now:
>
> I have been trying to follow your instructions on:
> http://devel.bibletime.info/wiki/Testing_BibleTime_on_Ubuntu .

Thanks for trying them out!  These instructions were (and are) aimed at
BibleTime Developers, the wiki is named devel.bibletime.info and I
emailed about them only on the bt-devel list, not the bt-users list.

They may in fact work just fine for "normal users" too, but they were
not really written with ordinary users in mind... I'd have tried for a
more "point and click" set of instructions for beginners, but that would
have needed some screenshots to illustrate things, and would generally
have taken me rather longer to write well!  So instead, I was lazy and I
just put my own notes on the wiki and edited them a bit... that's why
they may not be ideal for your use.

Anyway, despite that, let's see if we can get you going...

> I got through the upgrading alright but the next set fails:
>
> Command 'sudo' is avialable in 'usr/bin/sudo'
> bash: sudo: command not found.

I don't think this can be exactly the message you saw... I think perhaps
you retyped it instead of cutting and pasting, and it got slightly
changed in the retyping?  Can you please cut and paste the exact error
message (and the commands you typed just above it) into your email, so
that nothing is accidentally lost or changed between the Terminal window
and your email?

> Only place I could see for trouble is at the end of the first line:

> |\  then the next line.  Nothing happens if I just type in the first
> line.  the result above is when I type in the second line following a
> space.

Those lines are broken into two with the \ only so they are readable on
the wiki page.  Normally, a line typed into a Terminal window that ends
in a \ will result in the prompt of a single > and a space, and then it
will wait for continuation of the line.

If that is indeed what is giving you trouble, just omit the \ and write
one long line:

echo "deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/jmarsden/ppa/ubuntu intrepid main"
|sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/jmarsden.list

and then a second long line:

echo "deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/jmarsden/ppa/ubuntu intrepid
universe" |sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/jmarsden.list

If that still doesn't do it for you, there are two likely possibilities:
(a) your account cannot run sudo at all, and (b) some sort of typo or
other issue getting the commands into your Terminal perfectly.

Please check for whether sudo works by typing the command

  sudo id

and enter your password when asked for it.  if it works, you will see
something like

uid=0(root) gid=0(root) groups=0(root)

and if not, you'll get an error message, which will help figure out what
is happening!

If sudo works as it should, then instead of the the two long commands
that seem to be giving you trouble, you can use any text editor to edit
the file concerned, so for example you could do

  sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list.d/jmarsden.list

and then in the text edit (nano in this case) type in the two lines of text

  deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/jmarsden/ppa/ubuntu intrepid main
  deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/jmarsden/ppa/ubuntu intrepid universe

and then save the file and exit the editor (in nano type control-X and
they Y and then Enter).

All those two long lines do is to create such a text file, as the root user.

It would also be helpful to know exactly which version of Ubuntu you
installed and are using.  One way to get that information is to let me
know the exact output you get when you type the command line

  uname -a ; lsb_release -a

into a Terminal window.

Hoping this helps,

Jonathan

P.S. I've cc'ed the bt-devel list, so anyone else lurking there with
similar issues will also benefit from our conversation.