[bt-devel] [sword-devel] Judges: Judg or Jud? and the handling of invalid references

Matthew Talbert ransom1982 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 01:19:58 MST 2009

>>> In Sword, Jude X:Y, is Revelation X - 1: Y when X > 1.  I don't think
>>> that behaviour desirable, but some people seem to like it.
>
>> Verse normalization can be disabled.
>
> That behaviour makes no sense to me as a (naive? casual?) reader of the
> texts concerned, either, and leads in this case to effectively
> random-seeming references.  Is there a preference in BibleTime (and
> Xiphos) that can toggle this on and off?  If not, how hard would it be
> to add one?

I agree that this behavior is bad. I think the default of going to Rev
1:1 rather than returning an error code if the reference fails to
parse is also not good. However from a technical standpoint, what is
happening in the first case is easy to understand. If you go to Rev
3:25, it will take you to Rev 4:3 because there are only 22 verses in
Rev 3. It's simply going to Rev 3, then moving ahead 25 verses. I have
a feeling this will get even more confusing when a user types in a
reference that is valid in another versification, but is not in the
current. Depending on what is typed in, the user could be directed to
a different chapter or to Rev 1:1. This sort of thing affects
frontends in areas such as parallel views, history lists (where the
module name is not stored only the text of the reference), search
results (also not always tied to a module), etc.

Matthew