[bt-devel] [ bibletime-Bugs-1619594 ] Use of wildcards not consistent

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Fri Mar 27 01:51:27 MST 2009

Bugs item #1619594, was opened at 2006-12-20 08:37
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by jmarsden
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=100954&aid=1619594&group_id=954

not just the latest update.
Category: Frontend / Search dialog
Group: None

Initial Comment:
Using of wildcards ? and * is possible in BT (BT 1.6.2) using the clucene search engine (0.9.16a).

Here are some test-results of this:
Searching in GermElb1905/Matthew for:

- her : finds all the words her: OK

- her* : finds
-- Herrn, Herodes, hervorkommen : OK
-- welcher, himmlischer: not OK

- *her : does not find anything

- he*r : finds
-- himmlischer, her, Heuchler, Herr : OK
-- herabgestiegen, herzu, Herodes, not OK

- h?er : finds all the hier, but they are not marked in yellow (by contrast in Mat 28:6 it marks her in yellow)

- her? : finds
-- Herr :unmarked
- her : marked (I would not expect this hit as I understand ? to be a one-place-joker in contrast to * which can be 0,1 or a more places-joker (as the following example shows):

- ?ehr : finds
-- mehr,sehr : OK (only it should be marked)

Comment By: Jonathan Marsden (jmarsden)
Date: 2009-03-27 01:51

Message:
Per http://clucene.wiki.sourceforge.net/Official_CLucene_FAQ
some of the examples given in this report are invalid.
In particular, wildcards may not be placed at the start
of a word.  So both *her and ?ehr are invalid.

The other unexpected results are still happening in Bibletime
2.0 alpha3 for me on Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid x64.

The way he*r matches herabgestiegen and so forth is
clearly incorrect.  While the examples used are simple
and so easy to spot, the real danger here is that a user
could rely on a complex search without realizing that one
or more completely incorrect results are being returned.