[bt-devel] Testing, bug reporting, and bug verification (was: Re: 2.0.alpha3 released)

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Fri Mar 27 00:42:04 MST 2009

Quoting Jonathan Marsden <jmarsden at fastmail.fm>:

> A set of standard pre-release tests would be very good to have.  Ideally
> split into smallish chunks, so that different people can do different
> chunks of the tests... has any kind of test set ever been created or
> documented for BibleTime?

There is a wiki page for testing, it's linked from the main page. Yes,
it would be useful to have a test set for modules, too.

>> I found an especially severe display (or some other) bug with ESV. It's
>> full of empty crossreferences. I have SWORD 1.5.11 installed. Can anyone
>> confirm this?
>
> Did you mean confirm this on Windows?  Or on any platform?  I am unable
> to reproduce this in BibleTime 2.0.alpha3 on Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid x64.
> The cross references in the ESV work as I would expect (they show up in
> the Mag if you leave the pointer over them, and the display switches to
> one if you click on it).  This is with ESV version 1.0 downloaded from
> CrossWire, and installed into a personal ~/.sword/ local fileset.

Any. I have tested only on Kubuntu. I see several empty []. See e.g.
the first chapters of Matthew. You can compare it with Xiphos output
(with footnotes and xrefs turned on, as in BT) to know what they
should contain.

>> People, please, check the Windows build page and module related bugs
>> there.
>
> I think all reported BT bugs should be in the BT bug tracker at
>
>   https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=954&atid=100954
>
> These can be linked to by wiki pages when appropriate.  Making the wiki
> into a a sort of second bug repository is IMO a bad idea.  I've already
> started going through some existing SF tracker bug reports, and trying
> to duplicate them (in the process of doing this, I found one new bug!).
> It would be good if others could join this effort, so the exact set of
> known bugs remaining in BT 2.0alphaX is known (whether the bugs are
> platform specific of not).  Currently there are only 19 open bugs left
> in the tracker, so the amount of work involved looks manageable.

The wiki planning page was created for the KDE/Qt4 porting phase
because the situation changed rapidly all the time and there were tons
of bugs coming and going. It has worked quite well. When we get most
of the bugs fixed and the final out, we can move to the bug database
for bug reports and use wiki for more free feature planning and to
collect the items for next releases.

BTW, thanks for the work with bugs. It's very useful for us.

--Eeli Kaikkonen