[bt-devel] BibleTime 2.0.alpha2 is released

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Sun Mar 22 01:11:15 MST 2009

Lainaus Jonathan Marsden <jmarsden at fastmail.fm>:

> What can be done to change that?  Offer something BT users might want,
> in exchange for doing some testing and reporting that you did so?  Such
> as an unlock key for a normally-non-gratis SWORD module, maybe??

As long as it involves money - no. But these kind of ideas are needed.
Actually we have had more feedback now when we have published 1.7, but
more would be better.

> Good (I think so too)!  Is there a way to mark all "release critical"
> issues in a bug tracker so that it is easy to get a list of them?  If
> not, should there be a way to do that? :)

SF has a facility to make plans, but I find it clumsy (as the whole
feedback system). Therefore I prefer the wiki page.

> whole 2.0 release then relates back to the "is BT 2.0 really all about
> Windows portability?" way of thinking that I mentioned earlier.

Well, they are only numbers... These plans have changed a couple of
times during several months (or even almost years). With this latest
plan it has been a possibility to celebrate the Qt-only release with
2.0 and later Win and Mac ports with 2.1 or 2.0.1. Actually before
Greg stepped in with his Win and Mac work I thought that we can't get
the Win port before the 2nd half of this year, and that we have to
release 2.0 for Linux only.

> Personally, I'm still resisting the lure of any closed proprietary tools
> for the development stuff I do outside of paid work, which includes BT...

Me too, but my commitment to FOSS is not FSF-style. I very much like
to see the mingw build succeed, but until that happens, I don't feel
bad for using MS tools. The main platform is still Linux and BT will
never be in a trap with proprietary tools (unlike e.g. BibleCS which
depends heavily, if not completely, on Borland tools).

--Eeli Kaikkonen