[bt-devel] Added the Help > About Dialog

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Tue Mar 10 14:32:21 MST 2009

Gary Holmlund wrote:
> I have added the Help > About dialog with BibleTime, Qt, and License
> Agreement tabs. Please give any feedback about changes or additional
> items. The BibleTime and Qt tabs have translatable text. The License
> Agreement does not. Even the authors at gnu.org don't translate that one.
>
> I also added a new generic class called BtTabHtmlDialog. It can have
> zero or more tabs. Each view or tab contains a QWebView and can show
> programmatic text or load any local html file or external link. See
> bibletime/src/frontend/htmldialogs/bttabhtmldialog.h for more
> documentation.

The About dialog is exactly what I had in mind. I'd like to add a tab
for The SWORD Project. For the licence I have thought this: add a
translatable "abstract" which is short, simple and easy to understand.
Something like:

BibleTime is released under the GPL licence. In short:
     - This short explanation is not legally binding, only the GPL
licence is
     - You can download and use (but not distribute) the program for
personal, private, public or commercial purposes without restrictions
     - You can give away or distribute the program if you also
distribute the corresponding source code

.......the GPL text...........

What do you say?

I had already written a tabbed dialog, but because I was stupid, I
didn't publish it before noticing that I have no time to complete it.
I'll attach it, if you want to see how it differs from the svn
implementation. I think mine is a little bit more simple to use, but it
shows only local text (html) from a QString. Two tabs are added with two
lines of code instead of six lines. I didn't see a reason to make it
flexible, for example there's no way to change the texts or order of
tabs afterwards. The tabs are put there rigidly in the order they are
created with addPage(title, text).

--Eeli Kaikkonen