[bt-devel] Windows development toolchain choice

Jonathan Marsden jmarsden at fastmail.fm
Wed Mar 4 13:23:05 MST 2009

Greg Hellings wrote:

> I have compiled and built CLucene under MinGW/MSYS many times - that's
> not the problem.  The problem appears when the headers are included
> from BibleTime.

OK.  Can you perhaps put on the devel.bibletime.info wiki a step by step
guide to how to set up a WinXP (or Win2K or even Vista) box, adding all
the necessary pieces to get as far as you have got with this?

I'm hoping for something that helps ensure everyone working on this sets
up an appropriate development toolchain in a consistent fashion, along
the lines of:

 + Download and install MinGW version X like *this*,
 + Download and install Boost version Y like *this*,
 + Download and install Clucene version Z like *this*,
 + Download and install an svn client version S like *this*,
 + Install BT sources from svn like *this*,
 + Now set *these* environment variables like *this*

 - Do *this* to start a build.
 - *These* are the errors we currently see.

The current "TODO: finish figuring out how to compile with MinGW" is not
exactly a lot to go on :)  Even if what we know is incomplete, could it
please be documented?

Then anyone who does find/make time to work on this can start from that
point, and (hopefully) more forward from there?  If you (or someone
else) already documented this development setup more thoroughly in a
post to this list, then just point me to it in the list archives instead.

Thanks,

Jonathan