[bt-devel] Windows development toolchain choice (was: Re: Windows installer tool choice)

Jonathan Marsden jmarsden at fastmail.fm
Wed Mar 4 12:54:34 MST 2009

Greg wrote:

> Ideally we'd get MinGW working, as many people have said, then we'd
> have a truly free development system, but the CLucene people would
> have to be consulted on that, or at least someone who feels like
> tracking down the bugs I've observed in those headers with the MinGW
> and other GCC-for-Windows compilers I've tried.

I'm not in any way officially a part of the BT development team, and
given other time-consuming (and mental-energy-consuming) things in my
world at the moment, I can't currently commit to really joining it or
having regular time to spend on BT.

However, I am interested in this, and have privately made a few small
steps in this general direction.  If (this is a very BIG IF!) I do ever
get CLucene to compile under MinGW, either on Windows or cross-compiling
it from Linux, I'll let the list know.  And if anyone else starts
investigating this, I'd appreciate their letting me know, so we can
combine our efforts rather than duplicating them.

Seeing something as free and freeing as a GPLed bible application start
to become dependent on an expensive closed proprietary toolchain...
well, let's just say that doesn't feel "right" to me ... but until I can
put the time in working on a free toolchain instead, I can't really
complain too loudly :)

Jonathan