[bt-devel] Windows installer tool choice

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Mon Mar 2 23:25:51 MST 2009

Eeli Kaikkonen wrote:
> Quoting Greg Hellings <greg.hellings at gmail.com>:
>
>> If we get it for free with NSIS, which seems unlikely, then I'm
>> happier.  If we don't get it, I don't want to try and work extra hard
>> to get it.
>
> Ok, I understand that. If it needs more than just installer package,
> there's no reason to spend much time with it. Especially if RtoL and
> unicode are not working properly without hacking on Win9x.

Qt should bring its own Unicode & text layout facilities to Windows. The
last time I actually wrote anything in Qt was back in 1996, when Win95
was actually current, and I believe it did then.

The only reason for which you would need to worry about Unicode
capabilities on 9x would be if you were depending on platform native
methods.

(This is just informative. I haven't changed my opinion in the last 2
minutes, and still wouldn't bother supporting 9x--but especially not 95.)

--Chris