[bt-devel] BibleTime 2.1.beta1 released - please test

Jonathan Marsden jmarsden at fastmail.fm
Sun Jun 28 17:39:58 MST 2009

Greg Hellings wrote:

> --MOST IMPORTANTLY: a bug that is not specific to Windows is the
> appalling processing time that takes place after confirming in the
> "Install/Update works?" dialog and before the actual installation
> takes place.  ...

+1

I noticed this and timed it on my desktop here, and it is pretty
unusable when installing many modules at once.  This is a pretty
important bug to address, IMO.  Does this have a bug number in the BT
bug tracker already, so we can add info about it in one place as it is
investigated?

> I don't have any code performance tools, so I've been unable to
> discover the cause of the problem.  Anyone else is welcome to take a
> look!

Logical (open source) choices in the Linux world would be gprof or
valgrind, or maybe oprofile.  I got as far as bookmarking some relevant
web pages about such profiling, but have not (yet?) actually attempted
to profile BibleTime.

Martin Gruner wrote:

>> -Build changes: Sword 1.6.0 and CMake 2.6.0 are required now

As a general principle, I think it would be good to propose and discuss
build (or runtime) requirements changes on list before just changing
them.  I remember mention of the SWORD 1.6.0 requirement earlier, but
not the cmake 2.6 one.  Changing requirements can affect backports of
software to "old" (but still supported and commonly used) Debian or
Ubuntu versions, etc.

In this particular case, cmake in Ubuntu Hardy is older than that
(2.4.7), but fortunately cmake 2.6.2 is in hardy-backports.  So, as long
as we build with the backports repository enabled, there is no issue.
And we already need backports for Qt >= 4.4 in Hardy.

Jonathan