[bt-devel] BibleTime 2.0 icon issue and menu slowness (was: Re: BibleTime 2.0 released )

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 17:02:42 MST 2009

On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 7:30 AM, Joachim
Ansorg<nospam+bt-devel at joachim-ansorg.de> wrote:
>>> The menus and context menus have the most noticable dely. If I click on a
>> > menu in the main menu then it takes about 2s until it appears. If I click
>> > for a second time it's a bit faster but still slow. The other apps don't
>> > have these slow menus (I mostly use KDE apps).
>>
>> Hmmm.  That's slow alright.  Here, I'd say the menu delay is maybe 0.2
>> seconds (that's a guess ... there is a perceptible delay, but it is too
>> short to time with a stopwatch!); that's a full order of magnitude
>> faster than what you are reporting!  My little desktop system here
>> surely isn't *that* fancy/fast/state of the art, is it??
>
> It's a lot faster than mine :)
> I'm using a Thinkpad T40 here (1,6 GHz single core). I don't remember that
> this happened with Qt 4.4 or any Qt 3 / KDE 4 application.

(The following comments are from Windows-land)
With Qt 4.4.x on Vista 64-bit the menu is as Jonathan described it:
perceptible, but barely.  With 4.5.x on Vista 64-bit, the various
selections and menus are at least 2s long.  So far I haven't noticed
the issue at all in Linux with 4.4.x and 4.5.x, but it's very present
in Windows and is the main reason I was not pushing hard to get a
BT/Windows release out the door.  The Bookshelf Manager is just
unmanageable.  As for the machine being the issue, my tests are both
done on the same machine, same install of Vista - AMD 64-bit Phenom
9600 (that's quad-core 2.4 GHz) with 4 GB of RAM and pulling off of 3
GB/s SATA drives.  My guess is that it's a Qt 4.5.x issue and not an
issue with my machine's performance. :)

Currently my Windows box is disassembled in a pile in the middle of my
new living room as I move into my new place, so it might be some time
before I get the other boxes and whatnot unpacked enough to build
again, but I saw good performance with 4.4.2 and 4.4.3 and terrible
with 4.5.0 and 4.5.1.  Everything else between the two builds was
identical.  Things are just fine on Mac OS X for me, though, and
likewise on Linux.

--Greg