[bt-devel] [ bibletime-Bugs-2802368 ] Segmentation fault

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Sat Jun 6 21:05:20 MST 2009

Bugs item #2802368, was opened at 2009-06-06 19:15
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by jmarsden
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=100954&aid=2802368&group_id=954

not just the latest update.
Category: Frontend / View
Group: new bug

Initial Comment:
After installing bibletime-2.0.tar.gz from Sourceforge.net I start Bibletime in a terminal or by clicking on the executable and I get a "Segmentation fault" with no back trace.

So I installed the debug version but I'm not sure how to use it.

The debug version was installed in /bibletime-2.0/build/install/bin and it said to open it there so I did and the "Segmentation fault" still happened with out a back trace.

Also, I need to be in root in order to run bibletime 2.0 with out getting a "Segmentation fault" when starting bibletime in root an out.txt file is created, the latest is attached here.

Also, when trying to click on buttons in the main screen the whole display blinks on and off, this happens every time.

Comment By: Jonathan Marsden (jmarsden)
Date: 2009-06-06 21:05

Message:
> all it did was start bibletime, there was no core file that I know of.
> so where should I look for the core file after the segfault?

In the current directory (the one you were in when you started bibletime
and it segfaulted).

Can you get onto IRC so we can talk about this in real time?

  http://embed.mibbit.com/?server=irc.freenode.net&channel=%23bibletime

should work if you do not have an IRC client program installed.

Comment By: troypulk (troypulk)
Date: 2009-06-06 21:01

Message:
I'm sorry for my ignorance,

after running
ulimit -c 2000000
bibletime &

all it did was start bibletime, there was no core file that I know of. so
where should I look for the core file after the segfault?

Also, it appears that bibletime will only work if I'm a super user even
after I changed the permissions on the bibletime executable.

Comment By: Jonathan Marsden (jmarsden)
Date: 2009-06-06 20:10

Message:
If you now have a file named core from the segfault, you can do

  gdb /usr/bin/bibletime core    # If your copy of the bibletime
executable is installed to /usr/bin/bibletime

and then type the command

  bt

to gdb to ask it for a backtrace.

Comment By: troypulk (troypulk)
Date: 2009-06-06 20:02

Message:
Thanks,

after running
ulimit -c 2000000
bibletime &

how do I go about creating a back trace?

So I can find out what is causing the "Segmentation fault"

Comment By: Jonathan Marsden (jmarsden)
Date: 2009-06-06 19:23

Message:
The creation of out.txt is a known issue in 2.0 which is already fixed in
2.0.1 (just released).  I'd suggest downloading that and seeing whether
that release solves your issue.

In order to generate a core file from which a backtrace can be generated,
you need to ensure that you have not disabled core file creation.  You may
want to try

  ulimit -c 2000000
  bibletime &

Comment By: Gary  Holmlund (gholmlund)
Date: 2009-06-06 19:23

Message:
There is a known issue in  BT 2.0 with it outputing an out.txt file. This
has been fixed in BT 2.01. I suggest trying it next. I don't know about the
blinking display.