[bt-devel] BibleTime status and packaging

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Fri Jan 30 05:39:44 MST 2009

I have to fix the Bookshelf Manager (i.e. the module manager) before
we release the next 1.7 version. It crashes almost every time now due
to threading problems.

Techical implementation note: I used valgrind with helgrind - valgrind
is very nice tool indeed - and it looks like it's the FTP library
which comes with the Sword library which is not thread safe and
crashes. I'll implement our own FTP manager later.

Now I will just disable concurrent installs. The work is underway and
shouldn't take long any more (couple of hours, if I just get some free
slot). I hope people test it heavily, preferably with dual or quad
core and with their own private ftp server, but any testing is better
than none. I don't want BT crash for end users.

The version number is still open. I would rather use beta or RC,
unless we get some serious heavy testing before the release. There
will necessarily be unnoticed bugs left and I don't want people be
disappointed with overly optimistic version number. (Although BT has
been quite stable for some time now, except the module manager, and
ready for packaging.)

Martin: can you help with a build problem? Debian packaging procedure
involves using fakeroot and I suppose it doesn't work perfectly with
cmake. Google found something with "cmake destdir" but I can't solve it.

--Eeli Kaikkonen

The rest is from Jonathan from the pkg-crosswire-devel list:

I tried... made some progress... and then got stuck.

I have a package tree for BibleTime 1.7beta3 on my machine that, when I
run debuild, will configure and build fine, but then it fails at the
install step, basically saying there is a problem with a relative path
to the installation directory.

I'm not a KDE or cmake-using kind of a person... and between CDBS and
cmake, there seem to be so many layers that hide what is really
happening, so I'm stuck for now on this.  Googling the error suggests
that others have seen this error and not found solutions yet...

Ideas welcomed.  Or if someone else wants to try their hand at BibleTime
packaging, speak up, I'll happily pass the baton to you :)

The relevant chunk of debuild output is enclosed below, in case the
exact error message helps someone remember what the fix for it is!

Jonathan

[100%] Built target bibletime
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/home/jonathan/packages/sword/bibletime/bibletime-1.7.beta3'
Install the project...
-- Install configuration: "Debugfull"
CMake Error at cmake_install.cmake:37 (FILE):
   file called with relative DESTINATION.  This does not make sense when
using
   DESTDIR.  Specify absolute path or remove DESTDIR environment variable.

make[1]: *** [install] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/home/jonathan/packages/sword/bibletime/bibletime-1.7.beta3'
make: *** [common-install-impl] Error 2
dpkg-buildpackage: failure: fakeroot debian/rules binary gave error exit
status 2
debuild: fatal error at line 1329:
dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -D -us -uc failed