[bt-devel] [ bibletime-Feature Requests-2105653 ] Book list combo box

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Sun Jan 25 03:52:51 MST 2009

Feature Requests item #2105653, was opened at 2008-09-11 13:13
Message generated for change (Settings changed) made by eelik
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=350954&aid=2105653&group_id=954

not just the latest update.
Category: Frontend
Group: None

Initial Comment:
I would like to have an option to select the books from a list instead of clicking/scrolling to try to find the book I need. A combo box like in the 1.5 series was "perfect", and I simply cannot understand why the developers think that the current one is more usable. This is the only thing holding me back from upgrading the 1.6 versions. I know a little C and C++ so if you need help with this I might try to look at the source codes. Thank you in advance, and God bless!

Comment By: Eeli Kaikkonen (eelik)
Date: 2008-11-06 19:58

Message:
I implemented dropdown lists for 1.7. It's not as sophisticated as my wiki
proposal but feels good enough. Please compile the latest svn source and
test it if you can.

Comment By: Nobody/Anonymous (nobody)
Date: 2008-09-12 06:54

Message:
Thanks, for the detailed answer. I have read both pages and I am glad that
I'm not the only one thinking of this issue. The analysis on the second
page is a very good one and I agree with most of the things there. Until
now I have not been thinking at all about the optimal solution. All I
wanted is to have the scrollable list back that was fine for me, though not
optimal.

I think the most simple solution would be to get the old functionality
back as an option, but there are some problems. I do not like KDE4 QT4 or
anything related. I know that this is the next step, but I still cannot get
used to it (and don't see why I should in the first place). I have worked a
little with KDE/QT 3 before and that's what I am used to. I am by no means
a programmer just doing stuff in my spare time, so I might not have
sufficient motivation to do this, but I will probably look at it when I get
the time.

Comment By: Eeli Kaikkonen (eelik)
Date: 2008-09-11 14:28

Message:
I agree that the current one is not very usable for all people. But a
dropdown list is not optimal either and designing a good solution is
difficult. Here are some thoughts:

http://devel.bibletime.info/wiki/BibleTime2FrontendNavigator
http://devel.bibletime.info/wiki/Talk:BibleTime2FrontendNavigator

The latter is written by me. You can share your comments and thoughts.

Help is really welcome. Creating a widget along my proposition is a huge
task. The old combobox would be much easier. One possibility is to make the
navigator configurable: you could take either the old one or the current
one (or even something else). But that would need extra work, too, and some
knowledge of the code.

If you decide to try, remember that our work goes into 1.7 series which is
based on KDE/Qt4.