[bt-devel] Windows build system

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Sat Feb 28 11:00:17 MST 2009

Quoting Barry Drake <b.drake at ntlworld.com>:

> I think you'll find that we can distribute the binaries without the
> source PROVIDED THAT we clearly state where the source packages can be
> obtained.  This can simply be a link to the sources that are already
> being provided.  This is the way in which BibleCS is distributed, so I
> assume BibleTime can go along the same lines.  The vast majority of
> Windows users will prefer NOT to have the source compulsarily foisted
> upon them!

GPL v2 doesn't allow that.

      a)  Accompany it with the complete corresponding
machine-readable source code, which must be distributed under the
terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a medium customarily used for
software interchange; or,
     b) Accompany it with a written offer, valid for at least three
years, to give any third party, for a charge no more than your cost of
physically performing source distribution, a complete machine-readable
copy of the corresponding source code, to be distributed under the
terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a medium customarily used for
software interchange; or,
     c) Accompany it with the information you received as to the offer
to distribute corresponding source code. (This alternative is allowed
only for noncommercial distribution and only if you received the
program in object code or executable form with such an offer, in
accord with Subsection b above.)

Giving a link is not enough, because it's not distributing. The
CrossWire Bible Society can do that with BibleCS because they own the
SWORD code. I guess they would allow us to do that, too, but it's
better just to distribute the source.

The developers are not "the vast majority of Windows users". Of course
we don't put the sources in the final binary distribution, but put
them in the development package which we distribute from sourceforge.
That way we surely comply with any Open Source licence.

--Eeli Kaikkonen