[bt-devel] Windows build system

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Sat Feb 28 10:23:10 MST 2009

Quoting Greg Hellings <greg.hellings at gmail.com>:

> Probably your and Eeli's suggestion of packaging up binary versions of
> the dependent libraries, etc, already built, and an insert point, sort
> of a "get the SVN BibleTime code into this directory" would be the
> easiest way to do that.

Let's make this clear: if we distribute the binaries, we must
distribute the sources, too. This is dictated by the GPL (which at
least SWORD uses). A simple solution is that one developer builds the
libraries and zips the whole main folder which includes all the stuff,
both sources and binaries. Others can then use the prebuilt libraries
or build them themselves if they want to. Nothing stops us
distributing even the BibleTime source in the same package, so that it
can be updated with svn easily. The VS project files may include some
local stuff but it's worth considering if it could be distributed,
too. At least if it's not possible to set up all configuration with
cmake.

Qt is the only part which should be excluded. It's too big and is
relatively easy to set up anyways.

--Eeli Kaikkonen