[bt-devel] Time to release alpha? (Re: Windows build system)

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Sat Feb 28 00:21:38 MST 2009

Many issues have been solved at least partially. Gary seems to have
fixed a Windows crash, which is very important. BT accepts png icons.
The BT c++ source code needs probably only one small patch (stricmp in
two files).

Is it possible to create another Windows installer? If the fixes work we
can test it and soon release alpha1 officially.

I would like to call it 2.0alpha1. This porting work needs to be
celebrated and BibleTime earns a greater number than 1.7 or 1.8. Couple
of weeks ago I thought that the Windows port would take at least half a
year. Now it seems to be closer than one month away. That's amazing.

I want to call it alpha because we have made major changes since 1.7.
Though it's not much codewise it's a large step to change the underlying
library for the display engine and other parts. We should be as careful
as we have been with 1.7 line and not call it final until it's tested
extensively. Also I don't want to make the mistake of being too excited
and publish the Windows port as final before it has really been tested.
The Xiphos folks published with short testing period and one www
reviewer couldn't even start the program. I can take part to the
developers' disappointment.

The alpha period will be short. After one or two alphas we can release a
beta and soon the final. There's no need for several months cycle this
time, but I still want to use more than couple of days for alphas and betas.

--Eeli Kaikkonen