[bt-devel] Some pictures

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 11:09:35 MST 2009

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 4:37 AM, Eeli Kaikkonen
<eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi> wrote:
> Quoting Greg Hellings <greg.hellings at gmail.com>:
>
>> Just a screen shot of Bibletime running in a system other than my
>> Development box, to prove it's possible.  For some reason, it lacks
>> all icon images on this box - but then again, this is it running in
>> Win XP Pro 64-bit, so I don't feel that much surprise or consternation
>> over it.  The icons appear on my development box, but it is, after
>> all, my development box.
>>
>> http://www.utdallas.edu/~gsh062000/pictures/p5.png
>
>> system.  You can fetch the .msi file from
>> http://www.utdallas.edu/~gsh062000/bibletime-installer.msi - it will
>
> It's running here on WinXP Pro on IBM T41 (my laptop at work). It doesn't
> show the icons, either. Is it possible that Qt on some Windows doesn't
> handle svg?

This is the best explanation I can think of - and it might be worth
looking around the Qt lists.  Of course, it could also be just a bug
where building on Vista causes the SVG support on XP to break somehow.

> It also gives assert and "Debug Error!" when trying to open Bookshelf
> Manager. Apparently MSVS handles Qt assertions this way. It would be nice if
> the dialog included the assert message, but it can be seen in the command
> window.

Strangely enough, for all the Unicode-related crashes I have seen, it
displays the assert (unsigned)(c + 1) <= 256 but not for the Bookshelf
Manager crash.

> It gives the same assertion when I change some settings and try to OK the
> Config dialog.

Which settings?  I just changed the theme setting a few times and it
was OK with that, but I didn't try any other settings.  Either way,
documenting those up on the wiki page is recommended. ;)

> Otherwise it works well - though there's not much to do without modules :)

You can just install the SWORD starter pack and point SWORD_HOME to
that folder, or just unzip some raw modules, dump them in a folder,
and point SWORD_HOME there.  From the experience of the Xiphos team,
it would probably be good to try to place them under a folder with
non-ASCII characters in its path, so we can test if we have the same
bug they encountered.

>> You can find some known issues listed on the Bibletime wiki in a new
>> page Building_on_Windows which I just created there and linked to from
>> the building page.  My thought was that the cross-platform builds will
>> have enough issues to track at their start that perhaps a separate
>> page would be good, and then, when things are more streamlined, they
>> can be collapsed back onto the main Building from source page.
>
> Yes.
>
> BTW, please use BibleTime instead of Bibletime, for example in Start menu.
> It doesn't matter at the moment but we should get the visible strings right
> before publishing.

Noted.  I'll update that the next time I make the installer.