[bt-devel] Some pictures

Matthew Talbert ransom1982 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 09:25:57 MST 2009

2009/2/26 Troy A. Griffitts <scribe at crosswire.org>

> Regarding Unicode support on Windows.  Not to shift blame here, but I am fully convinced the issue is with the MinGW compile toolchain.
>
> Here is my reasoning:
>
> char *getenv(const char *);
> int open(const char *);
>
> However your toolchain implements these methods in a unicode aware world, just from sheer consistency, whatever you receive from getenv, you should be able to pass to open.

Actually it has to do with the implementation of the C runtime; mingw
is using the standard MS C runtime. If Borland is using another, that
could account for the difference. From reading about this, I am quite
convinced that GetOpenFileNameW is the *only* consistent way to get a
file name suitable for opening.

For an issue that is quite incorrect in the utilities regardless of
the above discussion, there is a GetOpenFileNameA call in the untar
code, which is clearly wrong on Windows NT platforms.

Matthew