[bt-devel] Eureka!!

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Wed Feb 25 23:03:31 MST 2009

Greg Hellings wrote:
> So - it is accomplished, accomplished and built.  Ends up pretty much
> all of the linker errors went away when I linked all the libraries and
> Bibletime itself against the same Runtime Library (funny about that,
> huh?).  Even the INSTALL.vcproj created by CMake worked to install
> Bibletime to the proper location (except for the libsword.dll, but I
> forgive it for that).  See it in first-run here:
>
> http://www.utdallas.edu/~gsh062000/pictures/First_run.png

Wow, this is a very happy moment!

> But when I clicked on "Apply" in the dialog, this happened:
>
> (BibleTime 1.7.1.cvs) _FATAL_: ASSERT failure in QSettings: "empty
> key", file io\qsettings.cpp, line 293
>
> Opening the executable a second time brought it up fine, so I went to
> Bookshelf Manager, and got the above error again.  Then I installed
> "The SWORD Project for Windows" and created an environment variable to
> point SWORD_HOME to those modules.  Low and behold, it opens and runs
> and properly displays the text (I don't seem to find how to edit the
> Personal Commentary portion, but I don't know if that is available at
> all in BibleTime or not, and I am too lazy to open BibleCS again and
> bother with installing a different commentary).  But still no luck
> with Bookshelf Manager.

OK. Again, can you start from command line with --debug (if there still
is such switch!) and paste a little bit more information.

Starting with empty SWORD configuration has been a problem also in the
past. I made some fixes but there may be something left. Other
developers also: please, delete (or temporarily move) you global and
personal sword directories and config files and test BibleTime.

> For those of you who are not interested in the Windows building or who
> are currently in the world of Unix/Linux, please check the attached
> patch file to see if it still configures and builds properly on your
> system.  If that is the case (it should be, almost all of the changes
> were just making casts explicit or removing unused headers) it would
> be nice to get most/all of the changes integrated back into SVN.
> There is also a few manual source changes to the SWORD library which I
> performed in the build process - I also submit those to the SWORD
> experts for their consideration (mainly to dirent.h).

Don't worry, streamlining the process for all platforms is high
priority, at least in a long run. I just don't have enough time... I've
noticed nothing in you changes which couldn't be integrated. I'll browse
through them and test them when I have time, hopefully tonight.

--Eeli Kaikkonen