[bt-devel] Qt Only - ToolBar problem

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 15:22:43 MST 2009

Gary,

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 2:49 PM, Gary Holmlund <gary.holmlund at gmail.com> wrote:
> Eeli Kaikkonen wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 24 Feb 2009, Greg Hellings wrote:
>>

>>> I see the Back/Forward navigation buttons, and then a wide, empty
>>> space all the way over to the vertical separator.  Next to that is a
>>> double-down arrow (the sort you expect to see when there is a More...
>>> selection) which, when clicked, provides me with the drop-down boxes
>>> for navigating the text on a separate line directly below the
>>> Back/Forward.  Selecting a key to navigate to causes the text to
>>> change to the desired entry properly, but the second line with the
>>> choosers then disappears again, and I have to click the double down
>>> arrow again to navigate away from the new page.  All the tools are
>>> there as they should be, its just that they seem to expand out and
>>> require their own row in the layout, which then requires the selection
>>> of the More... button to show them.  Clearly it's a "feature" of the
>>> Mac-ness of it.  If my description isn't clear, I can give you a
>>> screenshot when I fire the Mac up again.
>>>

>> It may have something to do with QMainWindow ToolbarBreak which I have
>> used in the code. It just doesn't work as expected even on Linux. I'd
>> like to divide the toolbars into two rows because one row is almost
>> always too narrow for them all. Does Gary know anything about this?
>>

> The ToolBarBreak is used to move to the next toolbar row so that when
> another toolbar is added it is on a lower row rather than to the right of
> the last toolbar.
>
> From Greg's description it seems the problem is happening with a single
> toolbar. It seems to be between the left/right history buttons and the first
> navigation combobox. It seems like something on the toolbar is expanding to
> much and pushing remaining items off the toolbar to the right. I am not sure
> what would be doing this.
>
> Greg, here is an experiment. If you look just to the left of the left/right
> history arrows you should see  a couple of vertical bars. These are a
> "handle" for the toolbar. If you put your mouse on these and drag, the
> toolbar will move and float by itself. When I do this the left/right history
> and the combo boxes move together and the combo boxes are a reasonable size.
> I am wondering if your floating toolbar becomes extra long? If so, can you
> describe it a little further.

For the Summa Theologica (from beta), here is what the bar looks like.
http://www.utdallas.edu/~gsh062000/pictures/p1.png  Of course,
SummaTheologica crashes whenever I select a passage, which I suspect
to be a module problem, since AquinasSummaTheologica works.  When I
open Josephus, though, this is what the bar looks like.
http://www.utdallas.edu/~gsh062000/pictures/p2.png  When I click the
double arrows to the right of the navigation buttons, I get this.
http://www.utdallas.edu/~gsh062000/pictures/p3.png  When I drag that
portion of the bar out on its own, here is what it looks like
http://www.utdallas.edu/~gsh062000/pictures/p4.png

--Greg