[bt-devel] version control, again (Re: Windows Build status)

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 01:01:46 MST 2009

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 1:34 AM, Eeli Kaikkonen
<eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi> wrote:
> Quoting Greg Hellings <greg.hellings at gmail.com>:
>

>>> Probably I should have sent these small changes in this email and not
>>> committed them yet without testing, but I was in a hurry and too tired to
>>> think about that. I hope these work - otherwise I should revert them
>>> (though
>>> they both seem to work anyways).
>>
>> I know some people have talked about using distributed version control
>> for such things as us collaborating and making many changes just to
>> get the system compiled on this cross-platform setting, while not
>> wanting to be forced to e-mail changes back and forth or run every
>> possible fix through SVN.  I'm willing to work with you to cooperate
>> in using one of those for these tasks - I know it would help me keep
>> track of having slightly different fixes for MinGW, Visual Studio and
>> Mac.  I'm always willing to spend a day or two setting up a new
>> technology that can save me having to do a 15 minute task manually. =)
>>
>> --Greg
>
> http://sourceforge.net/community/forum/topic.php?id=4779&page
>
> But...
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Git_(software)#Portability
>
> I have used only git but might like mercurial more. However, it's not
> supported by sf.net. Maybe some day. One problem with an external repository
> is the login names of those who make commits. As far as I know there's no
> simple way to move the commits from an external git/mercurial repo to the
> sf.net svn repo. If sf.net supported mercurial I would be ready to convert
> completely to it even today, without looking back to svn.

I was thinking more that we could collaborate just between those of us
making the changes for the Windows build, and then, when the time came
and we had the build worked out as well as checked it for build on the
other systems, we could then make one big (possibly set of smaller)
commit(s) to SVN.  Not necessarily making it an official or permanent
branch/move but rather just allowing us easier control over what we
are doing for getting the Windows/Mac ports together.

--Greg