[bt-devel] Development after 1.7

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Wed Feb 11 23:57:14 MST 2009

Quoting Greg Hellings <greg.hellings at gmail.com>:

> Personally I think that the model used by, eg the SWORD library and
> the Linux kernel, where pretty much anything can change between 1.5.10
> and 1.5.11 of the library or 2.6.9 and 2.6.10 of the kernel is a bad
> design - it prevents the version number from meaning anything at all
> except for chronological ordering.  But to take it all the way to 4
> separate numbers as you suggest?  I think that's overkill - the 3
> number release seems to be sufficient in my opinion, but keep
> consistent that 1.7.x all have the same features where the only
> differences is security, bug or other necessary fixes.  Let 1.8, 1.9,
> etc be the next feature update release and let version 2 indicate
> something very significant - like an abandonment of KDE in favor of Qt
> and allowing for release of a supported Windows/Mac version of the
> software.

That's true. I noticed in older release notes that some kind of
consensus was "2.x" for Qt-only releases. Possibly 2.0 for Qt-only
Linux version and later 2.1 for Windows and maybe Mac version, in the
order they are ready.

Another possible scheme was to release Qt-only as 1.8 and
crossplatform as 2.0. If that's the case, then we would need 1.7.x for
feature releases and 1.7.x.x for minor bugfix releases. But I like the
first scheme.

--Eeli Kaikkonen