[bt-devel] QtWebKit version

Martin Gruner mg.pub at gmx.net
Wed Feb 11 10:00:47 MST 2009

Hi Eeli,

> With quick testing I found one fault: the hover delay doesn't work
> reliably. If I move the mouse pointer over KJV text the Mag is updated
> all the time. I can't easily get orientated to javascript (I have barely
> used it once) but it looks like the timer is not cleared when the mouse
> is moved. In the original code it happens like this: Every time when the
> mouse move event happens the timer is killed and started again from 0.
> It means that only after the mouse has been stopped for <delay>ms the
> timer event is sent and handled. Maybe this could be reached by putting
> some code back to c++ file: killing the timer, timer id, timer event.
> Only when the timer event is triggered and handled in timerEvent the
> signal would be emitted to the js code. But I don't know how to handle
> the node then.

That can be done well in pure JS. Just store and use the id of the "timeout"
in a variable.

> Otherwise it looks great. The first natural reaction when hearing about
> using javascript is that "it's too much overhead, it's bloat", but
> reality may be different. Probably the overhead is negligible compared
> to rendering the html text from the modules. With my fast dual-core I
> see no difference; I would like to try with a very slow machine.

I expect that we can gain much from using JS. I learned jquery at work, a
great toolkit. At some point we'll have to completely redo our HTML/CSS/JS,
and good use of JS will be fast and much more user friendly than now. Speed is
not a problem at all, if you do it right.

mg