[bt-devel] Development after 1.7

Gary Holmlund gary.holmlund at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 21:28:51 MST 2009

Martin Gruner wrote:
> Hi BibleTime team.
>

> Now it is time to think about how we should continue to work together in this
> project. Let me share my - personal - thoughts, and let us then discuss.
>

> First of all, we need to CHANGE our development policy radically. Two years to
> create a new version of a software is by far too much!
> RELEASE OFTEN must be our guiding principle. With a quick release cycle it is
> also easier to iron out mistakes that should have crept into a release.
> IMO we should have a release per one or two months, ideally, more often is
> possible if there are many contributions. That means that each release does
> not have a "brand new" version of BibleTime, but some new features and some
> bugfixes. The rest of my thoughts flow from this principle, and I'd like to hear
> if you can accept this new approach. It is the most important point for me.
>
> Planning should take place in
> http://devel.bibletime.info/wiki/Development_Plan. We create a feature and bug
> stack, and decide which items will be tackled for the next release. Others
> will be postponed to the next or a later version.
>
> Our source code repository (SVN TRUNK) should *ALWAYS* be in a near-
> releaseable state. That means that everything checked in has to compile and
> not break the application to be unusable.
> Larger changes can be done in a development branch (for cooperation) or a
> local checkout of a developer and have to be merged back to TRUNK if they are
> ready to be tested. That is the responsibility of the developer(s) working on
> these changes.
>
> This is (the attempt to realize) the approach of "agile software development".
> See http://www.pragprog.com/titles/pad/practices-of-an-agile-developer if you
> want to know more about it.
>

> Now I'd like to hear what you think about these more general ideas. Is that ok
> for us to work from?
>

> Regarding the current situation:
>
> I'm open to switch to QtWebKit if the implementation is ready. But I'd favor
> to change the default, have people test and then quickly remove the old KHTML
> based implementation. I just enabled WebKit but couldn't tell the difference.
> ;) I guess that is a good sign! If the replacement works as expected, we  have
> no reason to compile and link against KHTML any more. Btw, does it also do the
> print rendering yet?
> It would probably be good if you, Gary, could continue the KDE->QT port for
> the different remaining parts of the application after the HTML rendering
> transition. But please in an atomic way that leaves a working application most
> of the time, as you did very well in the past. That way we can always release,
> no matter how far you got.
>
> Eeli, similar thoughts would apply to you. You should (I guess that is your
> priority now) develop the Qt based FTP transport locally or in a branch, and
> then submit it to TRUNK as a thread-safe replacement of the existing
> [...]

I welcome a release often policy and that the code should be in a
near-releasable state at all times. This is our policy where I work. At
the same time I can appreciated that this would not work well for the
past port from kde3 to kde4/qt.

I was expecting to remove the KHTML when we feel ready. I have the
CPrinter changes ready to check in.

The remaining kde4 code relates to:
  1. command line options
  2. bug report dialog
  3. actions,menus, toolbars, etc.  (the biggest job)

We can make the decision about branching for a 1.7 bug fix versus using
the trunk when the time comes. I would hope the trunk is stable enough
we could just release from it.

Gary