[bt-devel] [Pkg-crosswire-devel] BibleTime 1.7rc1 released - PLEASE TEST - 1.7 final scheduled very soon

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Wed Feb 4 08:31:57 MST 2009

Quoting Jonathan Marsden <jmarsden at fastmail.fm>:

> Looks good here, based on my initial testing tonight; I downloaded it
> and packaged it for Ubuntu, and then installed from the package and
> tested it lightly, including some experimenting with the Bookshelf
> Manager.  No obvious bugs emerged.  This is on a Ubuntu 8.10 64bit
> (amd64) machine with dual-core CPU.

Good, though the problems may need more repetitions to occur. But
every test is forwards.

> A couple of minor things:
>
> (a) The move from a versioning scheme of 1.7.beta3 to 1.7rc1 (the first
> had a period between the numeric and alpha parts of the version, but the
> second does not) broke my debian/watch file -- so uscan could not tell
> me that 1.6rc1 was available, nor could it automatically grab it for me.
>  It thinks 1.7.beta3 is a higher version that 1.7rc1, basically.
>
> While I think the omission of that period is fine, making this change in
> how you label versions, while keeping the main x.y version the same, was
> unexpected.  Whatever you do, please do try to keep it consistent going
> forward if you can, so that automated systems such as uscan and the
> debian/watch file work as intended.

I have noticed that the system has changed between releases but didn't
bother to point it out. I think the only reason why this happened is
that nobody has asked this and we haven't therefore paid attention. I
guess Martin will happily use some standard. Is there any
recommendation?

> (b) If it is not too much work, it would help me out as a packager if,
> when you release 1.7 (and future versions!) you could release the source
> code as a .tar.gz (as well as the current format of tar.bz2 if that is
> what some folks prefer).

IIRC we haven't released .tar.gz because we didn't consider it needed.
Again I guess that Martin can easily do this if it's really needed
more than once.

Also, if you have something regarding packaging which could be
integrated into the BibleTime source code repository we may be willing
to integrate it. I have thought about a "packaging/" subdirectory for
Debian, Fedora etc., but I don't know if it's needed or useful.

--Eeli Kaikkonen