[bt-devel] 2.5 release schedule

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Tue Dec 15 08:01:19 MST 2009

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009, Jaak Ristioja wrote:

> Personally I still think we *MAY* still have a couple of things to do
> before RC. Depending on how much time we have. Here are some possibilities:
>
> 1) a simple mechanism that makes BibleTime use the christmas splash
> screen (still in progress) from christmas to epiphany (e.g. from
> December 24 to January 5)
>    * I think this is quite easy to do, we just have to make cmake
>      install another image and add a few lines to the code.

This is what we planned with Thomas but nobody did it :) Would be nice.
If the splahs picture is that startuplogo_idee, it is good and general
enough to be there even after Christmas time until the next (2.5.x or
2.6) release without a date trigger.

> 2) Improve the christmas theme for the display windows with a background
> image:
>    * My artist friend might also provide us with light-green colored
>      background for this (in progress), so we need to figure out how
>      to include that in the theme.
>    * This requires that the HTML renderer used in BT (webkit) can
>      handle CSS like the following:
>
>          background-image: url('data:,binaryDataHere')

Nice-to-have, too, but I would rather leave this out for now and
consider using backgrounds later.

> 3) I have also been experimenting with christmas CSS theme for
> BibleTime's UI (QWidget's and such, the setStyleSheet method), for which
> the background image mentioned in 2) might also become useful.

As you said, this isn't so simple. Changing the UI color scheme for one
application could clash ugly with the system style, so we can't set it
as default. And I don't want to introduce a new config item for UI
color scheme. A command line switch is possible, but would it actually
serve anyone? We will definitely leave this out now.

So, I would say that we won't release an RC but release the final on
Friday. If Jaak's number 1) gets in and is tested before that, then
good. But we can live without it.

And Jaak: this would be a good opportunity to create a bzr branch. We
could test it without interfering with the svn.

  Yours,
	Eeli Kaikkonen (Mr.), Oulu, Finland