[bt-devel] The future of development and DVCS

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Mon Dec 7 10:02:08 MST 2009

On Sat, 5 Dec 2009, Eeli Kaikkonen wrote:
After manual tweaking and some experimenting I got the sf.net bzr repo
in a working state, at least it seems to be so :) I also wrote
documentation in http://devel.bibletime.info/wiki/BazaarWithSvn. The
first chapters describe some possible workflows for private work. The
last chapter deals with this public workflow:

> It might be possible to use a dvcs for experimental branching but keep
> the main development in svn. The workflow would be like this:
> * official trunk in svn
> * a dvcs with no official trunk, only experimental branches
> * anyone can create a branch in dvcs
> * features (or fixes as well) are developed in public branches instead
>   of in secret in private machines, as they do now
> * anyone can follow feature developent of each developer, unlike now
> * when a feature is ready, it's announced and anyone can check it
> * if there are no complaints, the developer can commit it to the svn
>   repository (or another developer can commit it)

So, please use some time to learn bzr, follow the instructions and
publish your next feature/fix in a bzr branch, even before it's ready.

  Yours,
	Eeli Kaikkonen (Mr.), Oulu, Finland