[bt-devel] Website: Content Migration

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Mon Dec 7 04:17:27 MST 2009

On Mon, 7 Dec 2009, Raoul Snyman wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> To get us started on the new site, I thought I'd discuss what content needs
> to be migrated from the old site.
>
> - Welcome to BibleTime
>   - About BT
>   - BT Screenshots
>   - Download BT
>   - BT FAQ
>   - Links
>   - How to link
>   - In The Press (I'd convert this to "testimonials" and get users to
> contribute)
>   - Contact Us
>   - License (I don't think we actually need this)
>   - Imprint (it seems necessary)
>
> - BibleTime Development
>   - Help (I'd rename this to "How To Contribute")
>   - Join the team
>   - Mailing lists
>   - Wiki - link
>
> - Translate
>
> - Bible Study How To
>
> This is basically the whole site, which I expected.
>
> In addition to migrating the content, I'd like to restructure the site
> somewhat. Some pages can be combined, we really only have 2 sections, and
> it would be nice to have the documentation online as well as part of the
> site.

I have already proposed one structure in an earlier mail. I think we
could have major sections and subsections. Major sections would be
represented by "tabs" and subsections by left hand sidebar. This is
quite standard structure in many website nowadays. The basic design is
like this:
http://plone.org/documentation/manual/plone-3-user-manual/introduction/visual-design-of-plone-web-sites
(sorry it's not drupal :) ). We don't of course need every are, for
example Right Area, at least not in every page. The Blog pages could
have a bit different design than the application pages, but they would
share some elements (the main menu etc.).

The major sections could be e.g.:

* BibleTime [the application]
* Blog
(* Forum)
* Develop
* About Us (Imprint could go here, too?)

The main section BibleTime would then include:
* About [or the home page]
* News
* Download
* Documentation
* Help

It's of course possible to just move the old content to the new system
and restructure it later. What do you think, which would be better,
rewrite first or move first?

  Yours,
	Eeli Kaikkonen (Mr.), Oulu, Finland