[bt-devel] The future of development and DVCS

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Sat Dec 5 02:56:21 MST 2009

On Fri, 4 Dec 2009, Gregory Hellings wrote:

> Recently I've started using git in some of my own development of web
> work and thus far I seriously dislike it's work flow. It could be that
> I don't fully understand it's workflow yet, but I can't even properly
> push to my own original repository's master branch and deleting files
> on any branch does not effectively delete them on any other branches,
> even following the exact workflows in the official git manual.
>
> Granted, the amount of commits I make is extremely minimal, but so far
> I love svn for every used I've had (except actual initial config) and
> have yet to see any real benefits of git (though there are great
> theorectical reasons!)
>
> --Greg

It's very possible that you haven't learned how git actually works. I
have also experienced problems with both git-svn and bzr-svn, but I
believe the reason has been my own ignorance. And still is - I'm
definitely not and expert! It's of course not nice and I very well know
the feeling of frustration and desparation, but there's no way to have a
flexible and powerful workflow without some learning first. I'm sorry :)

The power of dvcs starts with heavy development, I doubt there's any
advantage for a casual coder/committer. I feel that our project is right
now between the "no advantage" and "advantage" stages. Any larger, and
dvcs starts to be useful for the more active developers.

  Yours,
	Eeli Kaikkonen (Mr.), Oulu, Finland