[bt-devel] BibleTime 2.2 released (Debian and Ubuntu packages now available)

Jonathan Marsden jmarsden at fastmail.fm
Sat Aug 29 19:43:47 MST 2009

Gary Holmlund wrote:

> If BibleTime 2.0-1 ships with Karmic, can BibleTime 2.2 be put into
> the main repository as a downloadable update? Same question for the
> other versions.

No.  The "main" repository does not contain bibletime at all.  Bibletime
(along with sword, and xiphos, and bibledit, for that matter) is in the
"universe" repository.  See info on the different components of Ubuntu
at http://www.ubuntu.com/community/ubuntustory/components .

We could try to get 2.2 (or 2.3 or whatever) into the karmic-backports
or karmic-updates repositories after the fact, but once a Ubuntu release
is released, you can't expect to add things to it.  Neither Debian nor
Ubuntu operate on a "continuous upgrade" basis, they have specific
releases at specific times, with security updates for anything that
requires them in the interim.  The -backports and -updates repositories
are there for the adventurous folks who know about them, basically :)

Ubuntu has a six-monthly release schedule (for info, see
http://www.ubuntu.com/products/whatIsubuntu/releases ).  BibleTime 2.2
came out the day before Feature Freeze for Ubuntu Karmic, which just
isn't enough time to package and test a new upstream release, get it
accepted into Debian, and then get it synced from there into Ubuntu.  So
(unless we can get an FFe for it for Karmic), Bibletime 2.2 must wait
for the next Ubuntu release (April 2010) to enter the universe repository.

Jonathan