[bt-devel] RFC: Remove modules installed by the native package manager

Sveinung Kvilhaugsvik sveinung84 at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Apr 28 16:50:23 MST 2009

> Hi Sveinung.
Hi Martin.

> First of all, thanks for providing a solution! I'm quite impressed with your
> work. Your patches look good.
Thanks for having a look at them and for your kind words.

> Having said that, I'm not going to apply them now. You know that we are just
> right before the release of BibleTime 2.0, so we have to postpone larger
> changes.
Sure. I posted them to get comments on them, especially on what would
be the preferred solution to the problem I had in patch3 but also to
find if I had done other mistakes. (Except patch-1 which is just a one
liner that has nothing to do with PackageKit at all. I discovered that
it was no longer needed to put a slash at the end of a string since
the method it got it from did check that the string would end in a
slash)

> Ok, there are very few modules packaged by the distros, but I'm not aware of
> users having problems with them.
So you haven't had users complaining about not being able to remove
works (usually an arabic Bible) in BibleTime? I read one place that it
was a support nightmare that people kept complaining about it. (The
writer didn't specify what Sword related project he was from but I
just assumed it applied to BibleTime no matter what project he was
from since BibleTime also is unable to remove those texts) Ok, I
didn't get to be the one solving the support nightmare for the bible
study application I use but I got some experience with Qt and C++ and
it still seems like I have a chance to get my changes merged. :)

> If
> most agree, we can incorporate your work at a later point (especially if
> distros have working versions of PackageKit).
On the last point: http://www.packagekit.org/pk-matrix.html shows what
package managers are supported. I've only tested my patches on Ubuntu.
The issue I described on Ubuntu will - God willingly - be fixed for
Karmic and perhaps backported to Jaunty. I think my patches needs at
least PackageKit 0.3.14. A quick look at what the version in some
other distros is: Fedora 10 seems to have 0.3.15[1], Arch 0.4.3[2]
(0.4.x is the development version), Mandrake 0.4.5[3], openSuSe 0.4.6,
in Debian there is an ITP for PackageKit[5] and Gentoo has a SoC entry
for it[6].

1 https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/PackageKit
2 http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=20412&O=&L=&C=&K=&SB=&SO=&PP=&do_Orphans=&SeB=
3 http://sophie.zarb.org/rpmfind?distrib=&version=&arch=&search=packagekit&st=rpmname