[bt-devel] RFC: Remove modules installed by the native package manager

Sveinung Kvilhaugsvik sveinung84 at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Apr 27 15:29:54 MST 2009

> No.  My assumption was that if they were installed automatically, it was the
> program package called for them to be installed.  (I use Kubuntu...  :@) )
In these patches, if another package requires the module it won't be
removed. (The situation on Ubuntu is that the modules are recommended,
not required, so there they will be removed)

> Ah.  Good to know.  I was just checking as I've had Apt's database corrupted
> a few times and it's hard to fix, especially for a newbie.
Actually this patch slightly decreases the chance of corrupting the
package manager's database. :) Today, if you run Bibletime as a user
that's permitted to remove modules the package manager installed and
ask BibleTime to remove it BibleTime will remove it without talking to
the package manager's database. (I don't think many run BibleTime this
way, so I don't think it's a big problem) With these patches,
PackageKit enabled and usable BibleTime will first ask PackageKit
(that asks the package manager) if the module is packaged and if it is
it won't try to remove it itself but instead remove it via PackageKit
(that asks the package manager to do it).

Sincerly
Sveinung